Sunday, January 23, 2011

Job (The Person, Not the Task...)

I write this today to simply acknowledge a life of a man who inspires, challenges, and moves me to become greater.

This man is Job, a man of steadfast character. He was blessed, yes, with material possessions... beyond anything I can imagine. He had 7,000 sheep, 3,000 camels, 500 yoke of oxen, 500 female donkeys, and many, many servants. In fact, he is quoted as being "the greatest of all the people of the east." (Job 1:3)

But, let's take a look at his character, shall we? What was so great about this guy?

Well, for starters, he was steadfast in his boldness, his humility, and his giving spirit.

He was aware of God's greatness and succumbed his life to be what God intended. He was not prideful of the things given to him, and his faith never wavered-- even when everything left his grasp. And, I mean... everything. His family. His possessions. And later, his health... all of it, was taken without warning.

Job's initial response to all of this?
"The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." (1:21)

Even when Job's friends questioned his faithfulness to God. Even when Job did not feel God's guidance; or God's spirit accompanying him, Job remained steadfast.

"As God lives, who has taken away my right, and the Almighty, who has made my soul bitter, as long as my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils, my lips will not speak falsehood, and my tongue will not utter deceit." (27:2-4)


I'd heard of Job's life before, but I'd never really studied it on my own {aka, read the whole book without ceasing}. And let's just say that I am now a huge, huge fan {even more so than before}.

Thank you, Job, for showing your honesty, upholding your integrity, and for living a life that was right before God's eyes. Thank you, also, for showing satan that he holds no power over our great and wonderful God.

"Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." - Psalm 73:25-26



1 comment:

  1. Don't forget that Job also had 5,000 parrots! That is, according to Richar's input during chapel.

    ReplyDelete