"Ok, what's 5 plus 8?" I ask, while looking intently into Miriam and Achmed's eyes.
They both pause, each looking at me to double-check that I don't have the answer written across my forehead or something as blatantly obvious as that. And when no answer is seen, they fidget their hands together in such a way that it appears that they are speaking in sign language. When, what is really the case: they are counting from five with their hands.
Miriam, impatient, screams, "15!!!" And when I do not give her a high-five to prove that she has conquered this round, she answers again. "No, no, 18!!!"
"Miriam, you're guessing," I say, "Think about it."
At this, Achmed chimes in, "13!! 13!! 13!!"
"Exactly! Mabrook! {Congratulations!}" Of which is followed by a round of high-fives.
Achmed may have won this battle, but Miriam.. she is tenacious. She is determined to take more wins than her challenger. Sure, it may be chilly outside, but the cold is no match for her will power.
It. Is. On.
For forty-five minutes today, these two children were by my side. And I drilled them like their lives were on the line. I gave math problem after math problem with triple the amount of high-fives to match. We laughed as we exchanged bits and pieces of Arabic along with our English, and Miriam equally enjoyed quizzing Achmed and I on our knowledge of addition {Achmed and I tied, most of the time.}.
Oh, first graders... They are so full of life.
Oh, first graders... They are so full of life.
These are just two of the children that I am blessed to have the opportunity to love.
They may not be my own students, but spending time with them after school as they wait for their rides is pure joy.
I'm so blessed to know them, care for them, and love them as if they were my younger siblings.
Simply, blessed.

No comments:
Post a Comment