So, as most of you know, I head back to the States in thirteen days (!!!). If you were to tell me several days ago that the last day of school would zoom by without my knowledge, or really, awareness of it... I probably would have laughed at you in your face.
But, that is what has happened.
It's gone.
Strange, the moment that I was anticipating for so long has now come, and I am so desperately wanting to have a room full of small-statured bodies once more. Twenty-three, to be exact. Don't get me wrong when I say that I was anticipating the end, for it wasn't the kids I was dreading, but the work! Teaching takes its toll on you when you perpetually pour so much of yourself out.
And, well, I am drained.
But am so, so wanting to go back to yesterday.
Yesterday, when my students were beckoning me to look over to them while they were attempting to jump rope while practicing the 3:1 ratio. Three 9 year old boys, one jump rope. Talk about entertainment! They were. a. riot.
Yesterday, when we ventured to the wonderful world of Peter Pan. As some of my students gazed onto the screen filled with the adventurous lives that make up Neverland, I noticed something. They were transfixed. A few of my students had never seen the film, and their joyous laughter was so contagious, I could not help but join. Simple joys are known in a child's smile --laughter seeps into your soul.
Yesterday, when one of my students, when questioned where they would most like to travel, answered Arkansas ---because that is where I am from. The smile behind his face says so much more than his answer.
We have connected.
These moments, and sooo many more, are the ones I hope to cherish. To hold dear for the many years to come, closely to my heart. I hope to never forget the times when I fought for their innocence and for justice to come upon them. I hope to never forget the boldness behind their eyes. The many stories that they are wanting to tell me, or, the many stories they strive to hide.
When you venture here, you may be surprised by the violence. You may be surprised by the cruelty of how life is lived. You may be surprised by the amount of dirt, garbage, and the land's unkempt appearance. But that, my friends, would be nothing to what I have been surprised by.
I have been surprised by the hearts full of hope-- most, clouded by fear and uncertainty. I have been surprised by the many words and unforeseen acts of kindness received. I have been surprised by the love felt here; as if visiting long-lost family. I have been surprised by the ease of it all. Every step along the way with my third grade class brought me closer and closer into their definition of "familly."
Ah, my Third Grade family.
The family that I have cried over, poured myself out over, screamed at the top of my lungs in anger over {and then communicated in a civil manner over}, laughed uncontrollably at their jokes and stories over, hugged like there was no tomorrow over, and spoke words of truth and love over, is the family I will miss.
No comments:
Post a Comment