Friday, May 20, 2011

Singing in the "Rain"

Well, this week brought an interesting "event" to my Recess duties...

On Wednesday, as per usual, I was a jump roping machine with my third grade students. Two weeks ago, I taught a few of them how to jump and crisscross the ropes, and haven't been able to escape their attention since, ha! Every day they are wanting me to showcase my skills so they can see how I do it. And then, of course, I watch as 10 or so students attempt to do the same performance for me. I really am enjoying this sweet ending to my school year. It's a memory I hope to cherish: Nicolas, as he looks like a rooster crowing while he attempts to jump uninterrupted jumps right next to Silina, who looks as if she was born for this. {I say rooster because Nicolas hunches and bobs his head with every jump... even after MUL-TI-PLE: "Nicolas, stand up straight while you jump!" ...He is afraid that he will hit himself with the rope behind his head.. silly boy.

Fun, all around, to say the least.

In between jumps, I gaze across the courtyard as several of my students are playing hardcore football {soccer}. Seriously, I have Real Madrid and Barcelona at my fingertips with these kids. They are intense, quick, and focused! But, sometimes, this is a formula for some pretty flared pride. Have to work on this one...

As I was peering from left to right, I was suddenly caught off guard by a loud scream: "WooooaaAAAAHHHH!!!"

Enter: A water pipe eruption.

That's right, the bathroom that is connected to my classroom sits next to the outer wall of the school, and wouldn't you know it--- the pipe exploded with water. It reminded me of one of those movie clips where the kids dance, sing, and play while the fire hydrant located behind them on the corner spews water into the air and onto the streets.  Yes, children were splashing, running through, and hopping over the river that was beginning to form in the school's courtyard. One of my students said it best: "Ms. Angela!! It's  like the Jordan River!!!"

Thankfully, no water seeped indoors into our classroom or school building. {Thaaaank goodness! THAT would have been interesting...} But, the day was then sprinkled with a small work crew that came and drilled, hammered, and fixed the water pipe as I taught for the duration of the afternoon.

Oh man, days are never boring here.

No comments:

Post a Comment