Take, Joseph in the Old Testament, for example. He learned this lesson over a period of years and was one, incredible man of faith. Joseph was sold into slavery by his brothers, believed to be dead by his own father, and put into prison by his master who had believed that Joseph slept with his wife. But, Joseph was framed {in all accounts} and had never done any wrong, knowing that his first priority was living a life aligned with God.
While in prison, Joseph meets two other men from Pharaoh's courts and God grants Joseph the ability to interpret their dreams. Because of this, the two men promise they will remember Joseph when they are freed. One, however, is hung shortly after his release. The other, forgets all about Joseph and the promise he had made to him. Thus, Joseph remains in prison.
After two years go by, Pharaoh begins having dreams and the second man, who had promised Joseph that he would remember him, suddenly recollects Joseph and his uncanny ability to do just this. Fed up with all of the other men and their failed attempts at interpretation, Pharaoh is desperate and calls Joseph in. And, God does not disappoint. God gives Joseph the ability to interpret Pharaoh's dreams {both of which, serve as a warning for Egypt, as the land will soon come into a time of famine lasting seven years}.
Because of this success, Joseph is trusted and placed highly under Pharaoh's command, for God was surely with Joseph. In fact, Pharaoh clarified himself to the utmost detail saying that he is only higher than Joseph because of his throne. All other facets of power belong to Joseph. And so, Joseph is made chief of all chiefs and holds all power over crops and rations during the time of preparation and famine for all of Egypt.
Then, a wonderful story of forgiveness unfolds as Joseph is reunited with his brothers. After testing their integrity, he informs them of his true identity, and Joseph's brothers are baffled. Mixed with their astonishment is great fear, for they are afraid that Joseph has been holding a grudge towards them and they do not know what is to come. This fear lasts until the death of their father, but Joseph quiets their fear with these words:
"Do not fear, for am I in the place of God? As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today. So do not fear, I will provide for you and your little ones."
-----------------------------------------------
Wow. What a message. To see and understand that God had control over Joseph's life while reading the Bible is one thing, but actually living that life and having that mindset is another. I don't know what my reactions would have been, had I been Joseph. But I pray that I would always rest in the knowledge that God is with me, wherever I go, whatever is going on in life, He is there. His intentions are always for His glory to be known.
I've had this on my mind a lot recently, as February 2nd marked the anniversary of my brother, Dustin's, passing. At the time {and still now}, I am speechless as to why it had to happen then. Life and death are fascinating subjects and the latter is often times, ignored and considered taboo. I don't know everything about life, and I don't claim to. But I do know that I have gained a greater perspective on what life is not.
My life is not fulfilling when I live for me. It's when I live for God where I find contentment.
My life is not guaranteed to last another day. I should be thankful for each passing breath.
My life is not living for life on earth. It's a daily decision to make an impact for eternity.
Yah, it's hard not having Dustin here. It's difficult knowing that I won't be able to make a future with him in my life, but I'm grateful for those moments I did have. I'm even more grateful for the wake-up call that his death had on my life. I hope that I carry out God's intentions for His glory to be known {and not mine} with my life and that it would be evident that He is the reason that I live. And no other.
{And, of course, I wish my wake-up call could have taken on a different form, but that's what God allowed for me. I don't claim to know why it happened, but I do know that it has been a blessing to realize the hope I have in Christ and the abundant life He gives.}
I'm not sure what that wake-up call looks like for you, but I hope that you are able to see God's goodness in it and in the aftermath.
God is faithful.
God is just.
God is steadfast love.
This day.
And always.
No comments:
Post a Comment