I'm sitting outside during recess, huddled with three of my girl students {all of us sitting in school desks, that are naturally sitting outside}, when one of them looks at my jacket and gives a perplexed look. Noticing this, I ask her, "Taleen, what's up? Why are you looking at my jacket like that? Is there something on it?" Her response: "Miss... what does 'The... North.. Face' mean?? Why does everyone wear this?"{And, when asked who this said everyone was she gave me names: Dad, his friends, you, Sarah, Wisam, and so on, and so on..}
I then proceeded to tell her that it is a brand of clothing that some people wear for outdoor things, like hiking, camping, etc. etc.
This, of course, took place after the girls had asked about my granola bar that I had eaten prior to this conversation. {Ms., from where did you get that snack?? My mom eats snacks like that...}
This, of course, took place after the girls had asked about my granola bar that I had eaten prior to this conversation. {Ms., from where did you get that snack?? My mom eats snacks like that...}
------------------------------------------
Man, these students. They see more than I give them credit, I think.
That's something I need to remember. With every glance I give across the room, every word I say, and the way I say it.. they notice. They pay attention to a lot of things that I don't catch until I have time to reflect on them.
The things that they mention in the class, most times, have something to do with my outward appearance {like the color of my shoes, my hair, my make-up ...really, one student asked me why I always wear the same make-up ...the list goes on!}.
But, what I need to have on the forefront of my mind, always, is how I am representing Jesus in my classroom. Am I being fair? Am I being just? Am I honest? Am I angry-- but not sinning?
Hard things to think about when every second of your day needs to be planned... and five minutes of calm, stillness can immediately erupt in commotion.
Welcome to the third grade.
Welcome to life.
Praying that I always allow Jesus to rule my actions + words + my life.
Amen, and amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment