Friday, February 18, 2011

The Moon's Pull

A few nights ago, my evening routine was interrupted by one of my roommates. "Quick, come up to the roof! You've gotta see what's going on outside!" And, knowing that she is one after my own heart {when it comes to, well... most everything, her judgment is on-par with mine}, I immediately followed.

Swiftly walking through the front door to our apartment, down the dark hallway, and up the barren stairwell that leads to the roof, I was unsure what my eyes were soon to behold. {With a sudden dust storm this afternoon and electricity going off three times tonight, I'm learning to always expect the unexpected.}

My first glimpse of the rooftop was filled with hazy clouds across the horizon that had a dusty, eerie orange tint. And, I think, is this what you wanted me to see? But, noticing that she was totally engrossed to what was happening precisely overhead, I directed my eyes above.

Wow. Simply, wow.

The clouds were moving at a pace that I rarely see: it was a quick tumbling motion all across the top of the sky. It was as if the clouds were dancing, and some were doing an acrobatic routine filled with somersaults. We were mesmerized by their swiftness. But what really took our attention, was the moon's radiance.

The moon was perched at the top-most section of the sky, hiding behind the clouds. But, when the gaps between the clouds allowed us to take in the moon in our view, it was something beautiful.

The moon, completely juxtaposed against the black canvas of sky, stood out like a floating red balloon in an empty, white room. Every crevice of the moon was visible, and it seemed like we were all so much closer than what we really were: standing atop a four story building. It seemed as if we were sitting in front row center seats admiring a beautiful ballet just a few feet away.

Even though the air was crisp and chilling, I hated the thought of leaving this glorious spectacle. But, I eventually pulled myself away and continued my night routine, keeping the recent sight in my mind's eye.


-------------------------------------

I feel like this post sums up what I need to remember time and time again. Don't focus on the haze that is surrounding my view; look up and admire something greater.

Admire the creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment