Three days ago, a young girl, Judy (I must add, that she is a wide-eyed first grader who makes you want to hold her and never let go. She's THAT adorable..), was standing by the front gate after school had let out for the day. She was earnestly watching the passing traffic, ever hoping for a glimpse of someone familiar. Unfortunately though, to Judy's dismay, no one seemed to be coming. Catching on to her need, I attempted to assist her and spoke in a friendly manner, informing her that I was there to help. However, all I got in return was a blank stare (I was, after all, speaking in a language she was just beginning to learn...). Finally, with the help of another, my message of concern was translated and she willingly obeyed my request for her to follow me to the school's office.
I was luckily able to clearly state to the girl's father that she had missed the bus, and he assured me that someone would be on their way towards the school. "Fifteen minutes," he said. (That's about 30-45 minutes in the Arab world, sometimes more...) So, knowing this, I decided we had better make ourselves comfortable in the shade.
While we waited, Judy and I began to form a relationship. All of our communication thus far had been a fun mix of charades and broken English--- both of which, do not get you very far. I tried to explain to Judy once more that I was the third grade teacher here at the school, and that I was a friend of Ms. Lily (her teacher). Still, crickets seemed to be noisier than she. Finally, I decided to talk on my frustrations of not knowing Arabic. "I really would like to learn more words... Here is a list of all I know so far...," I told her. Upon hearing my small (but growing!) list, Judy let on a smile. (Finally! I'm getting somewhere with her!) I then asked her if she would be willing to help me extend my vocabulary, and told her I would really like to learn a few numbers.
At this, a little game erupted. We began to count in both Arabic and English, and let me tell you, she laughed (a LOT) at my inability to remember all of the numbers (we only counted up to 5).
With this game, she received from me the label of Ms. Teacher Judy. I informed her that from there on out, I would address her as my Arabic teacher and that I hoped we could have several more sessions together. She, of course, just smiled (as if embarrassed) and proceeded to snack on her chocolate puff cereal as she contemplated the request I had just made.
I could tell, though, that a confidence she did not have before was blossoming. SHE was able to help ME. This was definitely a paradigm shift in her frame of mind. And, I think was a great lesson for me. I must always be willing to learn as I never know where a lesson could potentially pop up.
Thank you, Teacher Judy, for reiterating the lesson to always have a teachable spirit.
There's an event that happens at my old university titled: The Living Library. At this, you meet with various individuals (or, as they are called, living "books") for 30 minutes or so to learn about their lives. A dialogue, if you will, about what you find interesting matched with the information they willingly give. It's a great lesson that practices the art of listening.
And well, to put it frankly, it's high time I start studying and opening the "books" that are at my disposal here in Palestine.
In order to instill value and worth in the lives here, I have to put myself out there. I have to become vulnerable. Humble. I have to show genuine interest. I have to make a move. Daily.
Praying that I am consistently in this mindset. Praying that God would continue to lead and guide me in this venture, and that my heart would not be hardened from hearing his voice.
sweet Angela.
ReplyDeletei am sitting here, sobbing like a baby at your last few posts, especially this one. what a charming story and an inspired interaction! i applaud you for "catching onto her need" and being present and motivated enough to act on it and pursue a relationship with her. you make me proud :) and DEFINITELY remind those around you to remember that "teachable spirit."
<3 i bet it was especially refreshing, given the reality of the language barriers and the humbling experiences you are probably facing minute by minute, being an outsider. it's a good reminder that even though you ARE there to teach, as a teacher, your spirit and determination to give/connect shines through, and the language will fall into place because a) you're GREAT with languages, holy cow and b) your intention is so pure and so divinely guided.
XOXOOX i just want to squeeze-hug you, angela! i hope many "breakthrough" moments like this continue to happen for you, and i'm sure they will. you write so eloquently and so purposefully, and i think those children are lucky to have your light.
keep it up and THANK YOU for being so diligent about maintaining this blog! i get so much out of it, i sometimes treat myself to an entry after a long work day. haha.
<3 lynn o.
Lynn. Sweet sweet Lynn. Wow. Thank you SO MUCH for your kind words! Thanks for your friendship, thanks for reading, and thanks for letting me know you are out there in the world-- following my steps in cyber space (ha!).
ReplyDeleteI write for reflection, so I don't get caught up in daily motions. I really am trying to learn while I am here. And, it's nice to know I have you walking alongside me-- well, through readings at least :)
And man Lynn, how you write such great words of encouragement! I need them for those days when my kids seem to be soooo SO full of energy and I wonder if they even hear me. ha! It's a hard thing to use tough love. I think I know now what parents mean when they say "This hurts me more than it hurts you" haha.. really. really. I hate disciplining the kids, but it's necessary!
Anyways, wish I could take you all around with me. Especially to my class. Your heart would melt with all of my kids. They are precious souls.
Many hugs and kisses to YOU! Can't wait to see you again! And, I mean, even if it is years ahead-- I'm pretty dang excited about it. Maybe I'll even be at a gig or something in the future! How awesome would THAT be?! Our Be-Bop days will live again, I just know it! haha..
Oh man, miss you MUCH! Love you dearly. Keep the beauty alive, both inside and out :)