I'm sitting here, drinking a soy chai latte (goodness knows how much I have longed for our sweet reunion...), letting Mazzy Star drown me in her song, Fade Into You, as it plays in the background. This song allows me to just, be, and do something I oh-so-love: people watch.
I'm watching as I see friends and couples re-connect, sipping over coffee, eating their salads, sandwiches, and all things Kosher. Amongst the crowd I see the devout Jews, the Rabbis, and many followers of Jewish law. I also see, of course, the new wave crowd: the young, hip, and fashionably forward Israelis. They all seem to be enjoying this particular Sunday as much as I am, using this day as a day of refreshment, renewal. It's a nice thing to be able to expand my normal views from time to time.
Now what I see: beautiful architecture that reminds me of my time in Florence, for the streets are lined with balconies and other simple pleasantries. Among the top of my "Favorites" list are the flowers that seem to be reaching out to me as they hang over the edge of the window sills--beckoning me to notice their beauty. Praise be to God for how he puts all of the wonderful details found in nature to ever-reflect His glory. I also feel the hustle and the bustle of a much more advanced, civilized place (which, is strange to admit knowing how old Jerusalem is...I mean, to think I walked past Old Jerusalem, and saw blocks of bricks from King Herod's reign!). Wow. Simply, wow.
Hard to believe that I am also only 20 minutes or so away from the school. Seems like worlds away.
Today after I passed through the check point to come into Jerusalem, I began to talk with two elderly Arab women. Both of which radiated love from within their souls (This is not an uncommon occurrence. Arabs have this way of speaking double blessings whenever they talk. "Hello!" "Hello, hello to you!" "Thank you." "Thank you, thank you to you! and so on and so on..."). We talked of course, with the little Arabic I know, but by the end of our 2 minute conversation you would think that we were long-lost friends, reuniting after a prolonged separation. I mean, I did after all receive an invitation to her home ...along with her name, telephone number, and traveling directions. Slightly overwhelming to be received with such love, but equally, I was so grateful to feel welcomed, accepted.
With a simple wave and kisses abounding on the cheeks, I left my sweet new friends and boarded the bus for Jerusalem.
While on the bus I just happened to think of a phrase I saw posted on a wall: "PEACE begins with ME." --and I couldn't agree more. I need to continually allow Christ's love to just flow out of me, and not hold on to feelings of fear, doubt, or anxiety. See people as God sees them.
My prayer is for Jerusalem today. I pray that this place would seek peace. That barriers would fall and people would begin to see people as God sees them: beautifully and wonderfully made, worthy of love. Yes, we all have our differences. But, what matters most, is God's view. And, it is my thought, that he views us as one. One people. I pray that we one day live under that title. Praying for the action steps towards this cause, that they be swift and smooth. Praying we would all learn to depend fully on Him in and for everything. He so much longs to be loved and known by His creation...
So yes, praying peace begins with me today, tomorrow, and the days to come.
Ang,
ReplyDeleteI just read all of your posts. You are so brave to be embarking on this journey. I hope to be half as selfless as you once I'm out in the real world. Reading your blog makes me laugh a little, cry a little, but mostly it reaffirms the existence of God for me. To think that someone could risk their life and enter a world that is foreign to them in every sense of the word reaffirms my faith in humanity. Know you're in my prayers.. and keep bloggin', girl! :)
PS: “We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them.”
Love,
Stephanie F.
Steph... You're such a blessing for me. Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. :)
ReplyDeletePraying for YOU my friend :) Praying you find worth and abounding love that is steadfast from our great God... daily!! He so much loves and cares for you, it's unreal.
Missing you and wishing we lived a tad bit closer to one another.. ya know?
Hope this year is going well! So sad I couldn't see ya before leaving for Palestine! Maybe a reunion once I return, yes? Anyways... keep me posted with your life!
lost of <3
angela