My time in Beit Jala could easily be portrayed with the following analogy:
Imagine a house cat, you know, the typical "I'm just going to lounge around the house, eat the food you place before me, and bathe myself" house cat. Sure, this cat has its own adventures-- perhaps it climbs the mountainous curtains or dodges and attacks the quick-moving feet of its owners-- but, it is what it is, a house cat. But to the cat, it is living the dream. The cat is dominating its society, on its terms.
Now, place that cat in the jungle.
This creates a problem. The house cat still has the mindset that it is ready and able to respond to its surroundings. It's knowledgeable and alert. And, given that it stays on the main path, the house cat is fine. But you and I both know that the jungle houses a world far beyond the main path. In fact, it is commonplace to assume that most of the jungle life happens above and below the tree line. Not to mention, out of sight.
This requires work, then, for the house cat. It must adjust and learn how to adapt-- learn how to survive. It also means that the senses need to stay open and alert.
This, I feel, is how my life could be depicted with visual imagery. A lot of things exist in Beit Jala and the surrounding areas that are not seen at first glance. Layers and layers of hurts exist. Layers and layers of pain. Layers and layers of people crying for help.
Luke 10:2 "The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest."
That's us. That's you. That's me.
So, that is my prayer today. Praying the Lord speaks to you. Praying He directs you where to go, and that you are open, willing, and receptive to His words. Praying that also for myself. Praying I never grow a heart that is hardened to His will. Praying I am never comfortable-- that I am always stretched. That is, after all, what the Lord tells us will happen "...behold, I am sending you out as lambs in the midst of wolves."
Nowhere do I see the words "you will live a life of comfort" spoken by Jesus.
Praying I am not complacent, as that is sometimes my tendency.
i am overflowing with love for you right now!!!!!!! haha i can't even get it out appropriately.
ReplyDeletecheers to more labor going out into the harvest :)
also, this made me think of you, big time. next time you have 20 minutes to watch something that's on a screen, feel free to check this out.
http://www.ted.com/talks/jessica_jackley_poverty_money_and_love.html
as always, sending you my admiration and support - and am feeling refreshed by your intention. :) you always help me reconnect with what is true.
i love you!
lynn