Sunday, October 24, 2010

Oatmeal Creme Pies


Sitting restfully on my couch (when I should be completing Report Cards, mind you), I am reflecting on these past few days..

As I contemplate, I catch myself looking at an oatmeal creme pie as it rests on my coffee table. With this in sight, I am reminded of what it means to be the family of Christ. (Weird thought, I know... but hear me out..)

This past weekend, a group from the States came to the school to encourage and speak truth to the teachers here. It was a blessing of which I am truly grateful. You see, I had begun to fall to the lies that I don't have a great impact on my students' lives. They are too young. I don't spend enough time with them. I am a failure. These were a few of the lies I had heard.

Lies. Lies. Lies.

All were shattered with this visiting group. One of the ladies got up in front of everyone and spoke very fondly of her third grade teacher and how she had changed her mother's life for the better. This, of course, created a domino effect in her life and in her mother's-- and a paradigm shift was made in how they lived and interacted with those around them.

Then, another spoke of her envy of our students. She was not raised to believe in God, in Jesus-- and she recently discovered His truths. She talked of her life of broken addiction and of her vast emptiness. She, then, talked on how she had wished that someone would have been by her side as a child to tell her how to live a life following Christ. ---She reminded the teachers that THAT is what WE are doing. We are building our kids' lives up in truth and in love.

Both had no idea of my inner struggles, but God knew-- and he used them to speak to me-- to reaffirm my powerful role.

Not only am I a teacher, but I am a role model, a judge, a friend, a confidant, a coach, a cheerleader, and most importantly-- called to reflect Christ with it all. With my actions, my words... all of it. What a great refreshment those women were to my soul! They helped rekindle the fire within me to be Christ with and to these kids. These kids have the potential to change not only their lives or the lives of their families... but nations! Talk about power.

This group also left with me (and my roommates) some snacks they did not finish while visiting the area. Among those snacks are precious gems-- my childhood love: Oatmeal Creme Pies. With them in view, I am reminded of my home, my family.. and of course, the family of Christ. What a beautiful family we are! I pray that I daily strive to reflect Christ's love (and tell of it) among those who feel lost, abandoned, and hopeless.

Praying that I would continually strive to build others up and encourage those around me, this day and always.

Praying also that I never lose sight of the sphere of influence that is before me and that you, too, do not lose sight of your important role in the lives of others.

mmMMmm... Oatmeal Creme Pies have never tasted sooo good.. Now if I could just finish those Report Cards...



No comments:

Post a Comment