Monday, February 20, 2012

The Message of Rain

As I sit on my bed, I hear the unsettled house move about me. It's an unpredictable kind of sound... one I cannot hum or place a beat to. It rises and falls without notice --- but it is always here.

Predictable unpredictability.

Or, perhaps, just constant. Consistent. Inevitable. Any of these seem to work in this circumstance.

But tonight, the sound of my home is paired with the wailing wind just outside of my window. This wind is the "Wizard of Oz" kind of wind where in any moment, I expect my world to become snatched up from the ground and thrown into the arms of a colossal cyclone.

Perhaps, I would even go searching for my way home with newly acquired ruby slippers as my guide. ...But, I digress.

Really, though, if I am to be honest, the thing that has my attention this evening is not the creaking of my house or the howling of the wind, but the beating down of rain.

Rain.... such an interesting thing, is it not? Interesting how rain can come in so many forms. It can be calming, soothing, barely there, lightly dancing in the sky --- or it can slam to earth so hard and so fast that you start to feverishly pray that you'll hopefully see another day.

Tonight, prayers were spoken.

Rain such as this kind reminds me that God is big. He is not to be taken lightly, and He is powerful. To think that the God I serve... the God I love... the God that loves me... controls the rain and everything around it! The rain that has my knees shaking, my God controls.

God controls the things that I, in my small-microscopic view of the world and universe, cannot predict. He knows my in's and out's just as he knows what tomorrow will bring. He knows that I alone would fail, but He longs to be my guide. He longs for me to come to Him for direction and provision. He longs for my dependency.

How quick I am to make haste my actions and my thoughts! And, sadly, my flesh longs for selfish desires. But, oh! How sweet it is to allow God to take control of my life! To see Him be glorified above all else... even if it requires me to lay down my wants and wishes before Him. It is my prayer to daily do this. And, wow, does opposition exist! Praying against the work of the enemy as he strives to bring destruction to the world. May I, along with other Christ-followers, be diligent and full of discernment as they seek to serve God in and with their everything.

Thankful for the rain this evening.... and the thoughts and prayers that it brings. How great God is to bring life and power to the earth!

1 comment:

  1. I like this! You have a WAY of writing in a creative, expressive format!

    ReplyDelete