Claira has a genuineness about her that I find to be rare. She has poise, confidence, and charisma. She has a patient soul and sees the depth of what lies behind my eyes.
Claira is also in the sixth grade.
What she says and does challenges me, at times. She challenges my method of doing things, or why I may seek to fulfill certain tasks... teaching me to live a little less rigid.
Then, of course, there are other times when I see the need that she has for direction to be granted; for wisdom to be shared. Now, I'm not the wisest of people. Nor do I have all of the answers, but I'd say that we have a pretty good checks and balances relationship going on between us. I can provide direction or wisdom in those set situations, and she can grant me the ability to loosen up and live a little freer.
I would also say that yesterday a mix of those things happened. I said a few things that, I'm sure, challenged her and reaffirmed others' words bearing truth, love, and faith into her spirit. But she taught me something more... a gift is something that you give, without thinking how it will be received, but more so, because you want that person to know that they are thought of. Cared for. Appreciated.
Seems like a "duh" statement, does it not?
I've written on unexpected gifts of wildflowers and what they say to me, but this is a different message. Sometimes, in my current "stage of life" I get lost in the message of the gift, instead of the action of my giving.
I second guess gift ideas because, "I'm just not sure if that would suit so-and-so..." or "I just don't know if they would use that..."
And then, you guessed it, nothing happens.
I'm lost in a sea of uncertainty because I'm fearful of giving something that they would not appreciate or value.
When did I lose sight of the message of the gift? Or, better yet, that I don't need a gift to tell another that I am grateful for them! When did I begin thinking that I do not "have enough time" to let those close know how important they are to me, or how much I value their companionship? Maybe it's something that we all now just assume from one another? Maybe we should only celebrate those nearest and dearest to us on special holidays and certain days of the week without acknowledging their affect on us with, gasp, words?
But that would be foolish.
Because I love to hear those things from those around me. And, truth be told, a random gift of appreciation speaks to my soul.
People are not something you can just write off with a purchased gift. A simple, mindless swipe of the debit card does not give them what they long to hear: that they are worth the time, effort, and energy required to sustain the relationship. And, that is not what I am suggesting for myself or any other. What I'm saying is: I would like to act on my gratitude for others more than what I do now.
Do I know the simple equation for this? Not entirely. But what I do know is that God places people on my mind + heart for a reason. If I do not actively engage myself in their lives with what He is calling me to do, then what am I doing? Am I showing that I don't trust Him fully?
Take this a step further, what gifts am I holding back from God? What would He want from me that I am not giving Him?
This is a tough question, but it's a good one. It is a question that deserves repeating time and time again. I want to have God be the first and foremost, and I want to trust "my" possessions to Him.
"Nevertheless, I am continually with you;
you hold my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will receive me to glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you?
And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is my strength of my heart and my portion forever."
-Psalm 73:23-26
I want that to be my heart cry. To long for God as dry, parched land longs for water.
You may be asking yourself, how did Claira spark such an interesting slew of thoughts in my mind? Great question.
Claira returned to me after we had finished our first conversation of current events and God stories to show me something personal. She showed me her wallet that she had made with her grandmother a few days prior. It's a wallet made of folded magazine ads and tape. Nothing too glamorous or extravagant, says the world. But, I know to her it stands for: love + thoughtfulness + value.
After praising her for the craftsmanship, we then talked about her up-and-coming birthday party. She has already made wallets for those who will be in attendance {all girls, mind you}, to which, I said, was a great idea. Thinking that our conversation was making its shift to the 'farewell stage' she caught me by surprise and simply stated:"I'll make one for you, too, if you'd like."
It was a gesture that said more than those nine words alone could {well, eleven if you count the contractions}.
She is willing to take the time to show me how thankful she is for me with a gift. More than that, she is seeking nothing in return... and purely wants to do it out of gratitude.
Man, how cool would it be if my life looked more like Claira's?
I really do believe that children just, get it, more than us adults do at times.
I want a heart more like that. A heart prone to giving out of gratitude.
What a beautiful heart that would be!
May I live more and more out of gratitude first to God and then to others. May I have an increasingly beautiful heart with each passing day.
I am encouraged by your words! And I am glad to be with a writer who can manipulate words into such great, detailed stories with meaning and passion. Your joy for life and God show through your artistic expression that is your blog!
ReplyDelete