Today in class we sang a song entitled Yes, You Have. When we got to the chorus, one of my students began to ask about the line: "You've stolen my heart, yes you have..." ("Ms. Angela! What does this mean?!"). To which, another student piped in ("Ms. Angela! Can I tell her at the end of the song???" Me: "Yes, yes, that's fine. Now, let's sing...").
At the song's completion, the definition came pouring out of the student's mouth. (I think you could equate his energy with one gasping for air after being held under water-- My students LOVE to talk!) He spoke on God's love for us and His desire to have our hearts. Amazed, I was taken aback slightly and then added, "Yes, and when you love someone and want to be with that person-- they are said to have stolen your heart. Meaning, all you think about is that person. And, all you want to do is be with that person. That's what God wants from us. That's what this song is about. The singer is talking about how God has stolen his heart."
Amazing how we can "sum up" God at times. But, really, when I stand away from the song... I come to find that in no way could I ever sum up God. I can tell of His wondrous, steadfast love for the world, His desire to use me to show others His love for them, and His desire for me to follow Him. But, summing up God.. no. Impossible.
This is comparable to painting a picture of the forest, but using only my fingers.
Wow.
This "technique" doesn't even BEGIN to resemble a forest. I can't translate the forest's beauty with my fingers alone! It's impossible to grasp the intricacies that so much exist.
This is what it's like when trying to explain God with words. I feel as though I am handicapped, at times. I don't have all of the paints necessary to paint the picture I desire. The picture I see.
But really, I find no words comparable to God's greatness, God's vastness, and God's depth.
All I know is: He is Jehovah Jireh. Yahweh. Alpha and Omega. The First and the Last. Holy of Holies. King of Kings. Lord of Lords. Steadfast Love. My Refuge. My Hiding Place. Elohim. El Shaddai. God Almighty. The Sufficient One. The Great Provider. Adonai. Master. Prince of Peace. The Great Deliverer. The Righteous One. The Redeemer. Everlasting...

...and that is only the beginning.
No comments:
Post a Comment